Wednesday, April 22, 2009

myTunes

Ever since having kids I have tried really hard not to get sucked into the precious world of children's music. I'm not ready to lose my groove yet, let alone get it back, so I try to steer clear of anything that damages my street cred. Sure, Raffi is entertaining enough, but in small doses, please! (There have been times I was ready to 'take HIM out to the ballgame', and by ballgame I don't mean ballgame, if you get my drift). But, I digress. Music is a beautiful thing to be shared with the family without the threat of a parent being driven into a lifeless stupor, mindlessly humming 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' over and over again. So with that I offer you the first of hopefully many posts with suggestions of cool music the whole family can enjoy.

My first suggestion is Jack Johnson's
Sing-A-Longs & Lullabies for the Film Curious George.

I have been listening to this album for a few years now and love it every time I put it on. (I'm not totaly selfish, the kids love it too). It's fun, danceable, sweet (in an un-cloying kind of way) and reminds me of summer. I thought is was especially appropriate for Earth Day since his song 'The 3 R's' extols the wonders of reducing, reusing and that third one... you know, the thing you do with cans and cardboard. Anyway, you can check out the video below or go to amazon.com and take a listen.

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.

8 comments:

  1. Jack Johnson-Yes! I love that cd. Most Bob Marley works for us, and Dan Zanes-any of his albums--I think we adults might like his music even more than the 2 year old does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camille sings along w/ Jack Johnson. Our favorite CD? Sleep through the Static although his newest, Mango Tree & his song w/ Paula Fuga is catching up to #1!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kiddos love Jack Johnson (as do I), also love the Beatles, Dan Zanes (if you get the opportunity to see him in concert- do it! So much fun!), Laurie Berkner, and pretty much anything I love, they learn to love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips! I have been meaning to check out Laurie Berkner as well, so I'll have to get on that. You're right...I realized that it doesn't have to be lame for the kids to like it.. If you are enjoying the music, so will they.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralph's World (Ralph Covert) is also in the Dan Zanes category. Sometimes I realize I'm still listening to his music (and enjoying it) after the kids have left the room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you know about gentle wind recordings? they are a local (albany) recording studio that have been producing high quality children's "folky" music since i was a kid. i grew up on many of their tapes and my girls are now.

    www.gentlewind.com

    none of the recordings are particulary hip or rockin' but many are quite sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks, leah. I haven't heard of them, but checked out their website and it sounds really great. I'll have to listen to some of their stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails