Monday, October 19, 2009

Necklaces you can't eat

As I was meandering around Stuyvesant Plaza the other day (after my weekly Pumpkin Spice Latte indulgence) I poked my head into The Pottery Place to see what kind of stuff they have going on. I have made a couple of things in there with the kids that we have given as gifts to the grandparents... gifts that only grandparents could love. You know, mugs, picture frames etc. that either have handprints all over them or are painted brown (because all the pretty colors mixed together make brown).

Anyway, I noticed that, in addition to pottery, they now have the cute silver charms you can design yourself. What caught my eye were the really sweet ones that your child can fingerprint into and and add their intials or other designs. (having the fingerprint around your neck might come in handy... might save you the trip for the Safe ID)

My first thought was, 'Now this is some kind of child-made jewelry I can get into.' Not that I don't love the pipe cleaner bead bracelets or the cheerio necklaces...but I find these are probably more durable, and less perishable for that matter.

The prices are pretty reasonable, I guess. I don't really know because I don't make my own jewelry. There are a couple of different options, but you can get enough silver clay for up 4 little charms and studio time for $40. I think they might make a really sweet gift for yourself or relatives.

Their website is under construction, but you can read a little more in the Stuyvesant Plaza newsletter or go to the Lilly Ollo website to find out more about what you can make.

The Pottery Place also offers classes if you feel like you'd rather have someone helping you. You can find their contact info here.

2 comments:

  1. so now macaroni art then? aw nuts : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice jewelry! I think your relatives would really enjoy them! (almost as cool as calendars) :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails