Thursday, September 3, 2009

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is as Creepy as I Remembered It

As children, my father used to take my sister and I to the library on Saturday mornings (probably so my mom could sleep in) and let us choose out some movies (VHS of course...DV-what?). Usually some MGM musical or old episodes of Reading Rainbow made their way home with us and we would enjoy them during a family movie night. My deep obsession for chocolate and oompa loompas was realized when watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory, and my crush on Gene Kelly started with Singin' in the Rain.

There was one movie however that made a lasting impression on me....in a bad way. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. For those of you who have seen it, you may know of what I speak. At first, the idea of a couple of kids, their eccentric father, and a flying car have all the ingredients of a great family movie. And that's exactly what I thought when I started watching it with my daughter...but oh how your memory can fail you. The first half an hour or so are cutesy enough, but when they get into the weird dream sequence part, things go downhill, fast. Here are the things that creep me out the most:

Creepiness Factors in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

1. The indecipherable grandfather who is always hanging out in his outhouse. Gross.

2. The flirty little number sung between the Bavarian King and his child-hating queen. (She is wearing some sexy little number and he in his bathrobe, prancing around the bedroom trying to kill each other. ) Weird.

3. The Child Catcher. This dude is the stuff nightmares are made of. As soon as I saw his face again, all these years later, it took all of my power not to curl into a fetal position and sob. He's scary, he lures children into cages with candy, he does the moonwalk...Oh wait, that's someone else.... (too soon?)

4. Benny Hill plays the toymaker. It is probably his only role which does not involve chasing around women in bikinis.


Please don't watch this movie. (If you really can't make that promise, I humbly offer this clip to you as a cautionary measure)

6 comments:

  1. For someone who likes Willy Wonka, you should know that Roald Dahl wrote this movie. Maybe that's why its so weird. He tends toward the more dark and sinister side of childhoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaahhhh memories!

    "What do you see? You people, looking at me?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the heads up--i know i watched this movie several times as a kid, but i do not remember anything but singing kids and a flying car--now I will know to keep my girls away from it till they are at least 10, or 18.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and I am NOT gonna watch that clip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh come on! That's one of our all-time favorite movies!

    All of us: 6yrs, 10 yrs and parents love it. We know all the songs. To respond to your creepiness factors:

    1.It's not an out house, it's just his little house that in his imaginary world it's bigger. Notice when the father is busy building the car, he is completly sane and responsible for the kids. He's only "crazy" when the kids are safely taken care of and he can take a break an be nuts in his little house.

    2. That number rocks! My daughter and I love to sing it together. She is a mean lady that hated children and should be pushed around a bit. She never actually gets hurt that's why it's so funny.

    3. The child catcher gets his at the end so justice is served and you can sleep through the night. It teaches children that when you work together and have a little creativity you can beat the powers that be.

    4. That is true so no rebuttal :)

    We will watch it again and again despite your warning :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The queen never tried to kill her husband..It was only he who wanted her dead. Heaven knows why though! She hated kids but truly loved him...weird film.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails